Monday, September 26, 2011

Spread the Knowledge, Stop the Cancer

I feel like when I go on a long walk, I either see something interesting or I meet someone interesting. I have walked down the road with a Rooster & two hens. I am not a fan of Roosters after being attacked by them on a daily basis the year we moved to Arkansas but this one seemed nice enough and I guess he wanted to know where I was headed. Eventually he got bored with me, cock-a-doodle-doo’d, and they moved on. I have even stepped in a group of GIGANTIC cockroaches (I am sure you heard me scream) that must live in a particular spot on a sidewalk and I forgetting they are there so I step in them almost every time. Ick!  Last weekend I took one of my long walks and went into a gas station to “refuel”. The guy saw my hat and thanked me profusely for doing this walk (it was really sweet). He said his grandmother had breast cancer and it was her goal to inform everyone about the disease. She had worked with teenage girls so that they would start doing yearly checks since cancer can affect you at any age. He said she had recently passed away (not from her breast cancer though – she won that battle) and that her motto was “Spread the Knowledge, Stop the Cancer”. She sounded like an amazing woman and I love the line… I might even steal it and put it on a shirt to wear when I’m walking!